At a Glance
Internet, Software, Hardware and Technology Services
Goals/Targets, Sustainability and Energy Management Strategy
Mountain View, CA
Hillary McKenzie led the development of a framework and model to assess a scope 3 category to support Google’s net zero goal.
Google has placed sustainability at the forefront of the company's mission. Google enlisted Climate Corps fellow Hillary McKenzie to develop a framework and model for calculating and assessing emissions impacts of the company’s scope 3 activities.
During her time at Google, Hillary drove this initiative through:
- Conducted cross-functional interviews to identify and map Scope 3 activities
- Researched existing methodologies and developed internal methodology
- Developed partnerships with internal teams to source and aggregate necessary data and developed assumptions to build model
- Identified hotspots to build granularity
- Roadmapped short-, medium-, and long-term next steps to align new methodology with Alphabet’s net zero goal
Hillary’s work helps Google gain visibility into its climate impacts and support its net zero mission. Google can incorporate these insights into its existing Net Zero goal. As Google continues to expand this initiative, Hillary’s findings and model can be leveraged to act as a starting point for strategies and target setting.
The project also highlighted areas where improvements to internal data management could streamline the process and enable future automation, further contributing to Google’s mission of organizing the world’s data in an accessible and practical manner.