At a Glance
Internet, Software, Hardware and Technology Services
Clean and Renewable Energy, Commercial Energy Efficiency, Data Analysis
Austin Kinzer worked across Iron Mountain’s global building portfolio to advance its decarbonization goals by collecting and analyzing energy usage data to identify specific opportunities for energy efficiency improvement and renewable energy deployment.
Iron Mountain is an enterprise information management services company seeking to achieve 100% renewable energy by 2050 and net zero emissions by 2040 for its operations across 59 countries and more than 1400 facilities. Austin Kinzer’s role with Iron Mountain was to facilitate global utility data collection efforts, then use the acquired data to identify, analyze, and evaluate potential projects to improve energy efficiency and deploy renewable energy.
Austin helped Iron Mountain achieve these objectives in the following ways:
- Engaging with regional operations leads to initiate the utility data collection process.
- Analyzing energy cost & usage data to identify target facilities for energy conservation and renewable energy measures.
- Creating a facility audit survey for facility managers to provide additional information about their sites.
- Utilizing survey data to identify specific energy efficiency and renewable energy opportunities.
- Evaluating individual opportunities to estimate emissions reductions and cost savings.
Austin’s work established processes for collecting energy and water data across 17 countries to enable actual data collection. Utilizing that data, Austin analyzed the portfolio in India to identify measures which include LED retrofits, occupancy sensors, and rooftop solar. Combined, these opportunities represent over $125,000 in net present value savings and 564 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions avoided annually. Additionally, the facility manager survey designed by Austin achieved a 100% response rate within 7 days for 12 separate facilities, indicating that this method can quickly identify specific energy efficiency opportunities in other countries where Iron Mountain operates.