EDF Climate Corps Fellow Today, Director of Sustainability Tomorrow
We are less than a month from the January 11 deadline for applying to become an EDF Climate Corps fellow in 2013. We have met hundreds of young leaders across the nation and realized a shift from when we launched this program five years ago. Sustainability and smart energy management are no longer niche interest areas. They are becoming mainstream career fields for the best and brightest talent our country has to offer.
EDF Climate Corps is proving to be the launch pad into these careers. After completing EDF Climate Corps fellowships, our alumni are landing full-time jobs where they influence smart and viable energy decisions.
We recently surveyed our 300 alumni to see what they are up to. Turns out a majority are working in sustainability or energy-related fields. For example, eight of our alumni are working at the California-based utility, PG&E.
Here are a few more highlights of where they are now.
In Corporate America:
- Mandy Martin (2010, Carnival) is the Global Sustainability Manager at Las Vegas Sands
- Sukrit Sehgal (2011, Quality Technology Services/QTS) is the Director of Sustainability and Recoveries at QTS
- Tom Fisher (2010, Staples) is a Sustainability Analyst at Salesforce
- Jenny McColloch (2011, Nestle Waters) is a Sustainable Supply Chain Consultant at McDonald's Corporation
- Elizabeth Turnbull (2010, adidas Group) is Sr. Manager of Environmental Affairs at adidas Group
- Maya Alunkal (2011, Fayetteville State University) is an Analyst at The Cadmus Group
- Megan Rast (2010, eBay) is now Environmental Sustainability Manager at Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Christopher Reynolds (2011, JP Morgan Chase) is now Associate, Global Real Estate, Energy & Sustainability at JP Morgan Chase
- Peter Petropoulos (2010, Pepsi) is a Senior Consultant at Deloitte
In Start-Ups and Energy Firms:
- Emily Applegate (2011, Gaylord Entertainment) the Director of Sustainability at Energy Source Partners
- Matt Schmitt (2011, RBS/Citizens Bank) is an Energy Markets Operations Manager at EnerNOC
- Jake MacArthur (2011, REI) is an Engineer at ETC Group
- Chris Gassman (2010, Compass) is the Commercialization Manager at MAAL Associates LLC
- Sarah Will (2010, REI) is a Project Lead at Ecova
- Lyle Morton (2010, JBG Properties) is an Associate at GreenOrder
In the Public Sector:
- Dara Ward (2011, adidas) is the Energy & Sustainability Manager at St. Vrain Valley School District
- Anne Marie Pippin (2010, Bank of America) is a Climate Change Adaptation Analyst at the White House Council on Environmental Quality
- Daniel Brookshire (2011, Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians) is the Project Coordinator/Community Development Planner at the NC State Energy Office
- Weatherization Assistance Program
- Katherine Binion (2011, New Hanover County) is a Program Associate, Southeast Portfolio at The Energy Foundation
- David Fox (2009, NCCU) is an Energy Efficiency Coordinator at EDF
And in case you missed it, check out the list of alumni we featured in last year's "where they are now" post.
If you're interested in joining our network of energy and sustainability leaders, the fellowship application is available online, apply today!
EDF Climate Corps (www.edfclimatecorps.org) places top tier graduate-level students in companies, cities and universities to build the business case for energy efficiency. During the course of a 10-12 week summer engagement, EDF Climate Corps fellows analyze energy-saving opportunities and develop custom energy management plans that cut costs and carbon emissions. Since 2008, EDF Climate Corps fellows have identified over $1.2 billion in net operational cost savings and cut 1.7 billion kilowatt hours of electricity, equivalent to the annual energy use of 150,000 homes. Applications for the 2013 fellowship are now being accepted through our website.
“Our EDF Climate Corps fellow did an outstanding assessment of our organization to improve and enhance our sustainability initiatives. We were fortunate to be able to avail ourselves of her vast expertise and knowledge, which will be pivotal as we strive toward becoming a sustainability leader.”
-Kathy Rebel, Quality Assurance Manager/Sustainability Lead – Syniverse