At a Glance
Retail and Apparel
Sustainability and Energy Management Strategy
Chendi Jiang worked with Walmart China to enhance sustainability related to biodegradable plastic and seafood products.
- Walmart has made a zero plastic waste commitment and aims to use less plastic.
- Walmart China would like to find viable alternatives to plastic and explore opportunities to reduce or eliminate plastic where possible.
- Walmart aims to deliver affordable products in a way that is sustainable both for people and the planet.
- Walmart would like to explore strategies and opportunities to enhance sustainability in seafood products.
1. Sustainable plastic: Chendi Jiang approached the challenge in 3 stages:
- Analyzed the industry, including but not limited to policy analysis, market research, and technicial solution analysis.
- Investigated competitors regarding 715 products in 9 retail stores.
- Provided suggestions on 8 categories of plastic products respectively.
2. Sustainable seafood certificate: Chendi Jiang approached the challenge in 5 stages:
- Analyzed the market and consumer preferences.
- Investigated competitors regarding 226 products in 5 retail stores.
- Did 10 deep interviews with existing seafood consumers.
- Conducted 2 choice-based conjoint surveys to decode the decision-making processes.
- Offered suggested next step for seafood products.
- Summarized plastic ban policies in 46 regions separately, providing a political reference for Walmart HyperMaket regarding the plastic business.
- Identified affordable technical solutions to 4 categories of plastic products, figuring out the road to enhancing sustainability.
- Did competitor analysis regarding 941 products, helping Walmart to find the areas to improve sustainability.
- Conducted choice-based conjoint surveys with 972 respondents, found out consumer acceptance of sustainable seafood products, and offered feasible market strategies.