At a Glance
Retail and Apparel
Commercial Energy Efficiency, Sustainability and Energy Management Strategy
Hanying Jiang designed future carbon emission scenarios and energy reduction pathways for Walmart stores in China.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has committed to becoming carbon neutral by 2040. In the face of this ambitious goal, the path planning of the nearly 400 stores that have opened in China will be critical to achieving its energy-saving and carbon-neutral goals.
In view of this, Jiang Hanying used the Global Change Assessment Model (GCAM) to design future carbon emission scenarios and energy-saving and emission reduction pathways for Walmart stores in China.
- Summarize future energy planning and new energy work plans for China and provinces and municipalities on the basis of available data.
- Investigate current carbon reduction technologies and measures and their costs to understand their externalities and means of reducing emissions.
- Simulation using the GCAM model in the context of carbon neutrality in China, and outputs to project future energy use in China and renewable energy use by province.
- Output results include:
- Future provincial-level 2025-2060 renewable energy consumption and cost projections
- Renewable energy resource endowment and price projections at future provincial level 2025-2060
- Future provincial-level carbon emissions and carbon price projections, 2025-2060
- Emission Reduction Cost Forecast
- Energy Saving and Emission Reduction Recommendations
Relevant to Walmart's energy efficiency and emissions reduction pathway, Hanying Jiang's report projects China's renewable energy generation, generation costs, consumption, renewable energy resource endowment, carbon emissions, and carbon abatement costs for a variety of factors from 2025 to 2060 by considering Walmart China's unique context and China's broader policy environment.
By modeling carbon neutral scenarios, the report provides insights into the potential impacts of different policies and actions on energy consumption and emissions. It provides valuable insights and recommendations for Walmart to achieve its energy saving and emission reduction goals.